St. George’s History comprises individual articles, documents and collections around the 300 year history of St. George’s Episcopal Church, located in Fredericksburg Virginia. This site is unrelated to St. George's main website.
Supplementing them are a category-based search, a content index and a timeline. We have two tour documents - a building summary and a 15 minute walking tour you can take in the church. We also have a sister site just about the graveyard.
Window 11,12,13 – Ascension Window
Return to referring page Subject: Ascension Dedication: In memory of Edward C. McGuire, D.D. Maker/Date: German, 1885 Description The Ascension took place 40 days after the Resurrection when Jesus led the disciples to Bethany. He raised his hands, blessed them and the was lifted up until a cloud took him out of their sight. This […]
Return to referring page 7 kneelers on the Communion rail were hand sewn by St. Georgians in the 1970’s. An amazing amount of work yielded beautiful work that still adorns this space The kneeler project took place over 3 years. As article in the Free Lance- Star Feb 4, 1978 highlighted 3 churches – […]
The Changing Place of the Reredos
Return to referring page A reredos is a large screen, altarpiece, or decoration that fits behind an altar. It can be made of various types of materials. It can be carved of marble or wood (as with St. George’s). It can be gilded or painted. (In 1906 it was painted). It can be low or […]
A Visual History of the Changes to the Chancel 1849 to 2009
Return to referring page These drawings with the following text may help you understand how the chancel has changed from the existing construction of St. George’s to the present time. 1.1849-1876
St. George’s Bell – “For Whom the Bell Tolls”
Return to referring page In May, 1856, the Fredericksburg News reported that the 1,510 pound bell for St Georges was “elevated to its position” into the steeple. That implies a hoist or lift but given no modern cranes or helicopter at the time it was still a job. Did it go through the middle of […]
George Hume (1698-1760)
Return to referring page As with many people in St George’s early 18th century history, Hume was not a native. Born in 1698 at Wedderburn Castle in Scotland, the family home for 600 years, Hume came here by accident. He served under the command of his father in 1715 in the losing cause to support […]
The Silver Story
Return to referring page 1. The Gift The 2 Patens and 2 cups (chalice, flagon) were an 1827 gift by John Gray to St. George’s as recorded by historian Philip Slaughter in his History of St. George’s Parish in the County of Spotsylvania, and Diocese of Virginia: With a Biography of the Author and […]
The Town Clock at St. George’s -“Does Anyone Really Know What Time It is?”
Return to referring page The clock we see outside St. George’s today is a stately piece that still presides over a skyline that has not significantly changed since 1855. Some people may see the clock as an anachronism in a day of digital watches and satellite regulated cell phones. However, during the recent renovation we […]
George Washington at St. George’s
Return to referring page The first parish church was designated to be at Germanna, the home of Alexander Spotswood. To accommodate the arriving settlers, the first vestry ordered two small frame churches built in 1724 in the eastern part of the county. In 1732, the vestry began planning to relocate the northern church on a […]
Quenzel's 1951 history is still the standard for the church. He was a librarian for Mary Washington College as well as being active at St. George's, helping to create the St. Georgian newsletter as well as a part of the Vestry. We have the entire book online which was published by St. George's
Barbara Willis was a local historian and writer and long time St. Georgian with her husband Mac. This paper is a detailed summary of the evolution of St. George's church from its wooden colonial church to the impressive 1849 brick building we have today.
The Civil War may be the most popular historic topic in all of our history. The church served in 3 capacities - as a fortress, center of revival and as a hospital. We have a 9 part series on our role and relationship to Fredericksburg.
McGuire served all 3 churches over the course of 45 years. He is probably the most influential of all our rectors in all phases of ministry from preaching, teaching, and outreach. Trip Wiggins, our archivist, wrote this for a Sunday school class and has been teaching classes for years
Charles Sydnor served St. George's from 1972-2003 and was responsible for furthering Thomas Faulkner's outreach ministries and creating new ones. This paper he wrote in 2009 was for an adult forum in that year.
Faulkner served St. George's for 30 years from 1946-1976. During these years racial policies were paramount, especially 1954, in the year of Brown vs. Board of Education, Faulkner was challenged by the Vestry on the role of Blacks in our service. He was able to move St. George's toward racial justice that other rectors would further