St. George’s History comprises individual articles, documents and collections around the 300 year history of St. George’s Episcopal Church, located in Fredericksburg Virginia. This site is unrelated to St. George's main website.
Supplementing them are a category-based search, a content index and a timeline. We have two tour documents - a building summary and a 15 minute walking tour you can take in the church. We also have a sister site just about the graveyard.
George Hume (1698-1760)
Return to referring page As with many people in St George’s early 18th century history, Hume was not a native. Born in 1698 at Wedderburn Castle in Scotland, the family home for 600 years, Hume came here by accident. He served under the command of his father in 1715 in the losing cause to support […]
The Silver Story
Return to referring page 1. The Gift The 2 Patens and 2 cups (chalice, flagon) were an 1827 gift by John Gray to St. George’s as recorded by historian Philip Slaughter in his History of St. George’s Parish in the County of Spotsylvania, and Diocese of Virginia: With a Biography of the Author and […]
The Town Clock at St. George’s -“Does Anyone Really Know What Time It is?”
Return to referring page The clock we see outside St. George’s today is a stately piece that still presides over a skyline that has not significantly changed since 1855. Some people may see the clock as an anachronism in a day of digital watches and satellite regulated cell phones. However, during the recent renovation we […]
George Washington at St. George’s
Return to referring page The first parish church was designated to be at Germanna, the home of Alexander Spotswood. To accommodate the arriving settlers, the first vestry ordered two small frame churches built in 1724 in the eastern part of the county. In 1732, the vestry began planning to relocate the northern church on a […]
Plaques of the Church – John Minor Maury (1795-1824)
Return to referring page This plaque is hung in the stairway in the narthex going down to Sydnor Hall. When going down to Sydnor Hall, below the Nave, imagine yourself going down to a ship’s galley and you will have an appropriate setting for this month’s story. John Minor Maury was eclipsed by his famous […]
Bazil Gordon (1768-1847), benefactor of the 2nd Church
Return to referring page Bazil Gordon is known for supporting the 2nd church throught the gift of the font (still used today) and for purchasing a pew. He was not only a prosperous merchant in Falmouth in the import export trade, but has said to be the first millionaire in America by the time he […]
The Pews, Part 3
Return to referring page We have looked at the design of the pews in part 2 and now we turn to how the pews contributed financially to the Church. The pews paid for the 1849 Church and until the 1920’s generally contributed at least 4% of more of revenue back to the Church per year. […]
Quenzel's 1951 history is still the standard for the church. He was a librarian for Mary Washington College as well as being active at St. George's, helping to create the St. Georgian newsletter as well as a part of the Vestry. We have the entire book online which was published by St. George's
Barbara Willis is a local historian and writer and long time St. Georgian with her husband Mac. This paper is a detailed summary of the evolution of St. George's church from its wooden colonial church to the impressive 1849 brick building we have today.
The Civil War may be the most popular historic topic in all of our history. The church served in 3 capacities - as a fortress, center of revival and as a hospital. We have a 9 part series on our role and relationship to Fredericksburg.
McGuire served all 3 churches over the course of 45 years. He is probably the most influential of all our rectors in all phases of ministry from preaching, teaching, and outreach. Trip Wiggins, our archivist, wrote this for a Sunday school class and has been teaching classes for years
Charles Sydnor served St. George's from 1972-2003 and was responsible for furthering Thomas Faulkner's outreach ministries and creating new ones. This paper he wrote in 2009 was for an adult forum in that year.
Faulkner served St. George's for 30 years from 1946-1976. During these years racial policies were paramount, especially 1954, in the year of Brown vs. Board of Education, Faulkner was challenged by the Vestry on the role of Blacks in our service. He was able to move St. George's toward racial justice that other rectors would further