From this site
“John N. Pearce was awarded emeritus status at the University of Mary Washington’s undergraduate commencement ceremony on Saturday, May 7, 2011.
“He was named Director of the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library, Director of the James Monroe Presidential Center, and University Liaison for the Enchanted Castle Site Emeritus.
“Pearce began his career at Mary Washington in 1984. His 27 years of service to the university included positions as a professor in the department of historic preservation and as director of the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library, the James Monroe Presidential Center and the Center for Historic Preservation.
“Pearce also directed the Germanna site of the Enchanted Castle, home of the royal Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood. In addition to teaching courses in the historic preservation department, he played a key role in developing the department’s museum studies curriculum.
“An expert on the life, times and influence of James Monroe and decorative arts, Pearce became director of planning and programs at the James Monroe Museum in 1989, and he was named director of the museum in 1996.
“During Pearce’s tenure, the museum expanded and enhanced its programs, increased its scholarly activity, improved its facilities and strengthened connections to the University.
“He has held memberships in several campus committees, including faculty affairs, special programs and exhibit spaces.
“Within the community, Pearce also served on several boards of directors of history and preservation organizations, including the Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center, the Memorial Foundation of Germanna Colonies in Virginia, Inc. and the Historic Fredericksburg Foundation.
“A recipient of several fellowships, Pearce was named a Winterthur Fellow and a National Society of Interior Design Fellow at the National Trust Summer School in England. In addition, he received the Governor of Maryland’s Award and the Trustee of America Award at Mary Washington.
“His articles have been published in numerous publications, such as the Dictionary of American History, the Encyclopedia of World Art, and the Local History Encyclopedia. He is the author of “American Painting 1560-1913.”
“Pearce earned a bachelor’s degree in American studies from Yale University and a master’s degree in early American culture from the University of Delaware.
From St. George’s Feb., 2011 Newsletter
John N. Pearce, Director of the James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library from 1993 – 2010, earned an M.A. (1959) in early American culture from the University of Delaware, after receiving a B.A. (1956) in American studies from Yale University. He also is Director of UMW’s James Monroe Presidential Center, including the publishing project The Papers of James Monroe. Pearce has more than 40 years of experience with history museums and historic preservation organizations, which includes a background in teaching and writing. He has developed considerable expertise on the life, times, and influence of James Monroe. Pearce’s teaching emphasizes the importance of history museums, historic sites, heritage education, and heritage tourism in strengthening and enriching American culture. He is widely consulted for his expertise in American decorative arts.
Pearce is the author of a number of articles including “Architecture” in the Dictionary of American History (1977) and “United States of America” in the Encyclopedia of World Art (1964), as well as co-author of “Historic Preservation” in the Local History Encyclopedia (2000). He was named a Winterthur Fellow and a National Society of Interior Design Fellow at the National Trust Summer School in England. Pearce also was the recipient of the Governor of Maryland’s Award and the Trustee of America Award at Mary Washington. His former posts included duties as associate curator of cultural history for the Smithsonian Institution, curator and director of properties for the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and state historic preservation officer for Maryland. He currently serves on several boards of directors of history and preservation organizations.
At St. George’s John was active in our renovations (Aim 2000, Nave Renovation) as well as speaking many times on history. He was also a member of the archives committee