From the “Docents Manual” – Craig Rains
“In 1989, area Greek Orthodox Christians decided to come together to worship. While they formed their own church community, they celebrated their first liturgies at St. Georgeʼs, which became their temporary worship center. Today, this large congregation worships in a beautiful contemporary setting at their own church, The Nativity of the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Church, near Riverbend High School.
“Jews have been active in the Fredericksburg area since the 1600ʼs but for hundreds of years they had no worship center and had to go to Richmond or Baltimore for High Holy Days and religious education for their children. The first Jewish congregation came together to be founded May 26, 1936 and it worshiped in the parish house of St. Georgeʼs until 1940, when it built Beth Sholom Temple on Charlotte Street, where it worshiped for the next 60 years.”
Comments are closed.