The Green family was from Culpeper and was lured to Falmouth due to the developing flour industry in Famouth. By 1830’s he was an inspector of flour at the port of Falmouth. This was a significant position. Reports sent to Richmond and published in Va. Herald show more barrels of flour deriving from Falmouth than Fredericksburg.
He purchased Lot 3 between Carter Street (now Cambridge) and Page Street (now Gordon) in Falmouth and by 1836 constructed a cotton factory on the lot. It became the Elm Factory and powered by Steam and employed at least 40 people and continued after his death. He expanded his holdings. In 1850 he bought the Eagle Flour mill that he operated with George Scott under the name of Green and Scott
He held many civic position – director of Farmers Bank, Mary Washington Monument project, Falmouth to Amissville Turnpike, direct of Baltimore and Rappahannock Streamship Packet company
He was also active in the third church at St. George’s as he purchased in 1849 pew 83 for $225.
Mr. Green’s family was instrumental in placing the 3rd and last Tiffany Window. Miss Nannie Green, daughter of Capt. Duff Green married of Lawrence Ashton, M.D in 1887. Ashton born in King George in 1845 and received his medical education at the University of Washington, DC. As vice-president of the Virginia Medical Society for 8 years and president for one he was the originator of the law to regular the practice of medicine in Virginia. The window was dedicated by his wife in September, 27, 1917
A later family member, a great great grandson also named Duff Green (1931-2009) provided a grant to the Community Foundation of the Rappahannock in 2010 after his death to
- Promote recreation opportunities in the community.
- Benefit our region’s youth.
- Advance local historic/cultural preservation
In the latter capacity, the fund provided funds over a number of years to repair and upgrade the outside of our Tiffany stained glass windows, including the one Ashton Tiffany donated by his daughter.