Angel of Victory or Guardian of Medical Science (1917)

angelofmedicalscience

Inscription:     none

Maker/Date:  Tiffany Studios, New York, 1917

Description –  Symbols

  1. Breastplate -The angel is wearing a breastplate over armor and holding a sword and buckler which symbolize  = victory of the triumphant march into Jerusalem

  1. Palms –

-The angel is holding palms which symbolizes victory of the triumphant march into Jerusalem 

-Also they became a symbol of the resurrection. 
-To the early Christians the palm was the tree of life. 
The palms also symbolize in the Resurrection victory over death.

  1. Flowers encircling the Angel.
    Green flowers indicate faithfulness and eternal life

Generally, represents life.
Hyacinths also symbolize prudence and peace of mind
.

  1. Chalice

The palms are in the chalice symbolizing the vessel Jesus used in the Last Supper to serve the wine. 

The folds in the robe is another use of drapery glass.

The flower demonstrates Tiffany’s use of many textures and shapes of glass to envelop the angel which will cause of variety of colors throughout the day. This glass is called opalescent glass, glass with more than one color being fused at manufacture.

This window is darker than the other Tiffany windows

This window may have been designed by Tiffany’s Frederick Wilson. A portraitist and cartoonist armed with an inexhaustible knowledge of Old and New Testament iconography, Wilson emerged as the firm’s most prolific and talented designer of figural windows and mosaic friezes from 1894 to 1923, producing the bulk of its church memorials until his departure in 1923.

was thus also food for the tourney. Moreover the first Passover was also the last supper in Egypt, the land of bondage.

We note that the Passover lamb is a sacrifice in the broad sense of the word, but not in the narrow sense of substitutionary sacri­fice. Its purpose is twofold: protection against death and food for the journey. The story makes no mention of sin or guilt, substitu­tion or atonement

Dedication:     In memory of Lawrence Ashton, M.D.

Dr. Ashton was one of the most prominent doctors of his day, born in King George in 1845 and received his medical education at the University of Washington, DC with further studies at the University of New York. He practiced in Fredericksburg for 15 years.  In 1887, he married Miss Nannie Green, daughter of Capt. Duff Green. As vice-president of the Virginia Medical Society for 8 years and president for one he was the originator of the law to regulate the practice of medicine in Virginia.  The window was dedicated by his wife in September, 27, 1917

Duff Green –  1792-1854

Duff Green was appointed inspector of flour for the port of Falmouth . He also bought the Eagle flour mill in Falmouth from the estate of William C. Beale in 1850.

Duff Green 1792 married Elizabeth Anne Payne -1824

From Culpeper, lured to Falmouth due to busy merchants and flour mills

Purchased Lot 3 between Carter Street (now Cambridge) and Page Street (now Gordon). Near from Fredericksburg to Falmouth there were 3 flour mills

  • By 1850’s owner of flour mill, cotton mill, woold carding, two rentals one in Fredericksburg and one in Falmouth
  • 1824 married Elizabeth Ann Payne 9 children [Va. Genelogy in Clip file shows 10]
  • Many civic position – director of Farmers Bank, Mary Washington Monument project, Falmouth to Amissville Turnpike, direct of Baltimore and Rappahnannock Streamship Packet company
  • By 1830’s inspector of flour at port of Famouth. Reports sent to Richmond and published in Va. Herald. 3/31/1834 report shows 4,973 barrels and 81 ½ barrels from Falmouth. By comparision Fredericksburg 3,612 barrells and no ½ barrels
  • 1835 fire wiped out hotel property owned.
  • 1837 construct cotton factory on Lot 3. Building and lot $4,387. Provided yard and osnaburg (unbleached cotton) . This was Elm Factory and powered by Steam. 10 men earned $106 monthly wage and 30 women $200. Insurance policy in 1874 showed 3.5 store building with slate reoof. Also had a 2 story brick building\
  • 1849 pew 83 – paid $225
  • 1850 from William Beale bought Eagle Flour Mill. He operated with George Scott under name of Green and Scott

Duff Green 1792-1854    ->  Duff Green 1837-1912   -.> Duff Green Sr  1892-1972 -> Duff Green Jr   1931-2009

Comments are closed.